Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Via Latina(A Short, Sweet Vent)

All I see in my Latin course, repeated in such a way as to be an obsession, is the phrase: "Build your Via Latina". It's how they want us to think of it. Paving a road. I can't think of it that way. I've never been helped so simply by an analogy like that.

What I can do, though, is think of it as a puzzle. It's certainly been puzzling. But when translating, I've found the best way I can do it is to find words I know, and arrange them as context fits, till they make sense.

Then my teacher sends it back with a poor score because it wasn't exactly what she imagined. But my own disdain for her isn't that important in this post...maybe a different post. It's worth covering. Or spewing, as it is. Anyways, under this system of teaching they have for online courses in Florida, the grasp of even the simplest concepts has been a mental claw game, where the claw is too big and pointed and it severs the arm off the teddy bear that is my understanding.

It's also worth mentioning that I have a deep distaste for non-traditional learning systems. What a failure of innovation, they are.

Back on topic, I'm almost finished with the course. 16 assignments left. Including tests and phone calls. I'm about to have both of those things, soon enough, followed up by another one or two of each. It seems the closer I get to being done, the more they want to try and keep me in. It's a frustrating business, dealing with this class.

After this, I'll be taking Latin 2. I can only hope that I have a different teacher than the forgetful, impersonal one I have now. But at least I'm taking a moment to vent. That's always going to be very important 

Right, must get moving again; Keep working.

Hoping for the best, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment